Central Washington University: Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Applied Sociology
Assistant Professor – Sociology
Job ID: 5236
Location: Ellensburg, WA
The Department of Sociology, in the College of the Sciences at Central Washington University (Ellensburg, WA), invites applicants for a full-time, tenure-track assistant professor appointment beginning September 16, 2023. We seek a teacher-scholar with a strong background in applied sociology and a serious commitment to undergraduate teaching and research in a liberal arts setting. Priority will be given to candidates with expertise to offer courses using perspectives that center diversity, inclusivity, and/or anti-racism in one or more of the following areas: Intersectionality, Immigration, and Child and Family Welfare. Additionally, all department faculty are expected to contribute to general education courses. The teaching load is 36 credit hours over three quarters (7 courses per academic year). Other responsibilities include scholarship activity, student advising, internship supervision, and service to campus and community. Our department takes great pride in preparing Sociology majors and minors for careers and/or post graduate education through small classes, individual attention, high impact practices, and undergraduate research opportunities. Faculty will integrate a commitment to CWU’s vision to be a model learning community of equity and belonging and support the mission of the strategic plan: “In order to build a community of equity and belonging, Central Washington University nurtures culturally sustaining practices that expand access and success to all students. We are committed to fostering high impact practices, sustainability, and authentic community partnerships that are grounded in meaningful relationships.”
- Ph.D. in Sociology (ABD candidates may be considered; however, the terminal degree must be completed before the start date.)
- Teaching, research, service or other experience that has prepared the candidate to contribute to CWU’s commitment to the engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse students.
- Evidence of effective teaching at the university level and using a variety of teaching modalities
- Demonstrated academic background and expertise in applied sociology
- The ability to offer courses centering diversity, inclusivity, and/or anti-racism in one or more of the following areas: Intersectionality, Immigration, and Child and Family Welfare
- Evidence of scholarly activity and scholarship/creative activities
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education through the mentorship and/or education of students who will serve diverse populations.
- Potential to contribute to interdisciplinary programs that reflect the needs of minoritized or underserved populations such as Accessibility Studies, Africana and Black Studies, American Indian Studies, Asian Studies, Ethnic Studies, Latino and Latin American Studies, and/or Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Demonstrated participation in programs designed to promote equity and/or inclusion.
- Experience or interest in developing and teaching online courses
- Experience in curriculum development and improvement
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience
Appointment : Full-Time, Tenure-Track, 9 Month Appointment. Central Washington University is on the quarter system with appointments from mid-September through mid-June.
Benefits : CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance.
Additional Information : For additional information about the University, visit: http://www.cwu.edu
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: http://www.myellensburg.com
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A letter describing how the candidate meets the qualifications and is prepared to perform the position responsibilities;
- A statement of teaching philosophy, research interests, and commitment to working with students with a broad range of skills and academic goals. Applicant’s statement should detail how their teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported the success of students from diverse backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic fields; applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should state how their work will further Central Washington University’s commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and welcoming;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Three academic references; and
- A copy of teaching evaluations;
Screening Begins: November 15, 2022 and will be open until filled
NOTE: Although copies of transcripts are acceptable for application purposes, all job offers are contingent upon verification of highest degree.
**Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21.14.1, CWU employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. Your vaccine status will be verified if/when a job offer is made. Information about medical and religious accommodations are available here: www.cwu.edu/hr/. Failure to meet the vaccination policy (or approval of a medical or religious accommodation) will result in revocation of the offer.
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
The conditions of employment with Central Washington University are set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Central Washington University and United Faculty of Central, University policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement may be found here: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/labor-relations/ufc.
CWU is an EEO/AA/Title IX/Veteran/Disability Employer