Adams State University: Assistant Professor, Sociology/Criminology
Position title: Assistant Professor of Sociology
Reports to: Dr. Colleen Schaffner, School Director
Department: School of Humanities and Social Sciences: Sociology
Position Number: FA9020
Starting Date: August 15, 2022
The Sociology Department is seeking a candidate devoted to teaching undergraduate students who shares our dedication to excellence in teaching. The position is seeking someone with an interest in teaching Criminology, Criminal Justice, and Introductory Sociology courses, with an ability to teach a broad array of Sociology courses when necessary. Responsibilities include teaching Sociology and Criminology courses across the curriculum, working with other faculty to continually maintain and update courses, advise students, and engage in service with the University and community. Opportunities for online teaching in the ASO Degree program will be available. While this position is not tenure track, it will operate under a renewable contract with the potential for promotion to a NTT Associate Professor in 5 years. This is an academic position with a course load of 12 credits per semester.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with diverse faculty across the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. This includes having the creativity and ingenuity to develop courses for our newly developed Forensics and Pre-Law Interdisciplinary Degrees. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to student-centered learning and furthering the university’s mission of Inclusive Excellence.
- A Ph.D. in Sociology is preferred, consideration will be given to advanced ABDs.
- Broad training in sociology. Candidate would have a background in Criminology and Criminal Justice, with an ability to teach a wide variety of sociology classes when necessary.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates that would also be able to contribute to our new major in Pre-Law and Forensic Psychology.
- A strong focus on teaching and experience teaching at the undergraduate level.
- Proven dedication to excellence in the classroom.
- Relevant experience working with under-served and/or underrepresented populations, and first-generation college students.
- Evidence of valuing equity, treating cultural and linguistic diversity as assets, and promoting inclusiveness.
- Adams State University is committed to the development of online courses and programs. The online division of the university is Adams State Online. The university has a comprehensive Academic Instructional Technology Center committed to the support of faculty teaching online. Support includes training in the process of teaching online, instructional designers to support the development and designing of online courses and instructional tools to support video lectures, live classrooms and cloud-based storage for instructional training videos. Candidates for this position will be committed to the willingness to develop and teach online courses.
- Adams State University expects of its faculty members the ability to treat others with respect, civility, and courtesy and to work honestly, effectively, and collegially with employees, students, and the community. This includes the ability to use appropriate conflict management skills to effectively manage any disagreement that might arise or to bring the disagreement to management for assistance in productive resolution when the situation requires.
- Adams State University values an inclusive environment that facilitates collegial relationships, encourages mutual understanding among diverse individuals, and leads to addressing issues and differences in an atmosphere where all are valued and affirmed. We warmly invite applications from candidates who thrive in this environment of honesty, efficacy, and collaboration.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies in a global environment.
The pay range for this position is $46,500 – $49,500, commensurate with experience and education. In addition to salary, Adams State University offers a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and retirement savings plans. For detailed benefits information please visit https://www.adams.edu/hr/benefits/ Opportunities for supplemental contracts may be available. Priority will be given to applicants submitted on or before March 31st.
Completed applications must include the following:
- A detailed letter of application addressing teaching interests/experience as well as professional interests and goals.
- Applicants should specifically address in their letter of application how teaching at a small, Hispanic Serving Institution with a sizable population of first-generation university students set in a rural environment aligns with their teaching interests/experience and professional goals.
- A curriculum vitae.
- Graduate transcripts (copies accepted). Official transcripts required upon hire.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (including course syllabi and student evaluations).
- Names, addresses (including e-mail), and telephone numbers of four references.
Electronic submissions are required and can be sent to Elaine Wenta, Administrative Assistant to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences (email@example.com). Any questions regarding the position can be directed towards Dr. Stephanie Hilwig, Department Chair and search committee chair (firstname.lastname@example.org);
In compliance with the Immigration Control Act of 1968 candidates for positions must provide proof of eligibility to work before an offer of employment can be made final.
Background Check Policy:
Adams State University performs background checks as a condition of employment for prospective employees and current employees seeking certain promotional opportunities. Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check. Applicants will be asked to provide personal data and sign a release form before the background check is conducted. Applicants who fail to provide the data and consent form will not be considered for employment or promotion. Background checks include review of criminal records and sex offender registry background. Credit and driving record background may apply to certain positions.
Adams State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Applications are sought from all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, disability, and, as covered by law, veteran status. In addition, University policies prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation including transgender status and gender expression, marital status, and parental status.
About Adams State:
Adams State University is dedicated to fostering Inclusive Excellence and especially encourages applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented populations. Given the university’s mission and student body composition, the institution is committed to increasing the diversity of its professional staff and is actively seeking qualified applicants who have experiences, skills, and/or personal attributes that augment the perspectives of our current faculty and staff; we will give particular consideration to qualified applicants with experience in ethnically diverse settings or who possess varied language skills and have a record of successful experience in engaging diverse communities and student populations. Additional information about the university and the academic mission may be found at www.adams.edu/academics/
About Adams State University – Alamosa, Colorado
Adams State University is a state-supported regional comprehensive university in Alamosa, Colorado, United States. Adams State is Colorado’s premier Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and is also a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with over 54% of our students representing diverse backgrounds. We have a high percentage of first-generation students with an equally high percentage of students who are Pell eligible. The university offers undergraduate programs in the physical and natural sciences, social sciences, kinesiology, fine arts, business and nursing, and specializes in educator curricula in several disciplines. Adams State also offers graduate degrees in history, art, business (MBA), and educator programs, including counselor education; the university also has a doctoral (PhD) program in counselor education. The university has an active athletic program, both in participatory sports and in athletics educator training. The Adams State Grizzly athletic teams compete under the auspices of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
Located in the beautiful San Luis Valley between the Sangre de Cristo and San Juan mountain ranges, Adams State University is a state-supported Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in Alamosa, CO. The vast San Luis Valley is designated the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area. We are, at 7,500 feet, in the largest alpine valley in the United States. Alamosa is located approximately 3.5 hours from Denver, 1.5 hours from Taos, New Mexico, and 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Alamosa has a population of 9,500, with recently built elementary schools, a moderate cost of living, and affordable housing. ASU takes a leading role in local theatre performances and musical events and is in an area where the opportunities for outdoor recreation abound.
Title IX Disclosure
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Part 106 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, including in admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and CFR 106 to Adams State University (ASU) may be directed to ASU’s Office of Equal Opportunity, Director Ana Guevara, and/or to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights of the Department of Education. Support resources for sexual misconduct, ASU’s sexual misconduct policies, contact information for the Adams State University’s Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX, as well as a detailed procedure for filing a grievance due to discrimination on the basis of sex may be found online at https://www.adams.edu/administration/oeo/reporting-sexual-harassment/. These procedures also describe the University’s response to reports and/or complaints of sex discrimination or sexual harassment.